Admission and enrolment procedures for exchange students


The status of exchange student is strictly reserved for persons studying at UCL in the framework of bilateral agreements and admitted upon the basis of an ECTS Learning agreement.

The registration of exchange students is free, covers one academic year, and is not renewable.

At the end of the period of study at UCL, no official diploma or certificate whatsoever will be delivered to them, but an ECTS Transcript of records will be issued for the exclusive purpose of transfer to the home university of credits obtained at UCL.


1. Admission

Admission of exchange students is organised through the faculty or the department. An exchange student will receive a registration form once the UCL department has been informed of his/her selection by the home institution. The form should be sent back before May 31 (1st semester) or November 30 (2nd semester) to the UCL departmental co-ordinator, together with the following documents:

  • a photocopy of a valid passport or identity card;
  • an exchange student certificate issued by the sending university;
  • an ECTS Learning agreement duly signed by the academic coordinator of the sending university;
  • a transcript of records of all preceding years in higher education;
  • three colour photos.

The departmental co-ordinator will forward the registration form to the Office of the Registrar who will send the student an acceptance document, "Autorisation d'inscription", to be used for possible visa application procedures.

2. Enrolment

Upon arrival, students should go to the Office of the Registrar in Louvain-la-Neuve or Brussels in order to register at the university. The Office will ask them the following documents:

  • a photocopy of the UCL acceptance document "Autorisation d'inscription"
  • the enrolment application for exchange students downloadable on
  • a colour passport size photograph with a white background
  • a copy of a valid passport or identity card (+ for non-European Union citizens, copy of the page that contains the visa);
  • a proof of health insurance (photocopy of European health card or a private insurance certificate). 
  • a photocopy of the accommodation contract


| 18/06/2012 |