The Ecole doctorale thématique en Statistique et en Sciences Actuarielles is pleased to invite you to its 6th PhD Day on Friday, September 14, 2012, at the Université catholique de Louvain. The purpose of the PhD Day is to bring together the PhD students in statistics, biostatistics and actuarial sciences of the french speaking universities in Belgium.
The program consists of two parts. Following a traditional scientific session in the morning, the afternoon session will focus on professional themes, with attention to questions coming up in the daily life of PhD students.
The morning session will proceed along a classical academic format, with invited and contributed talks by the (former) PhD students themselves. The invited talks will be aimed at a broad audience, providing accessible and inspiring introductions to selected themes in mathematical statistics, biostatistics, and actuarial sciences.
New this year is that the afternoon session will focus on professional themes, aiming to answer questions that come up in the daily life of PhD students in statistics:
- How to prepare my paper for submission to maximize its chances for acceptance? How to read those pesky referee reports?
- How to prepare myself for an academic career? Where to look for open positions and for funding? Should I go abroad or not?
- What are my career possibilities in industry when I have a PhD in statistics? What is the added value of a PhD degree?
- I'd like to go my own way. How to establish myself as a free lance? How to create a spin-off?
Looking forward to seeing you at the PhD Day!
Program & Abstract
Pictures of the events
08:30-08:50 WELCOME COFFEE
08:50-09:00 OPENING : Johan Segers
Chair: Cédric Heuchenne, Président de l'EDT
09:00-09:30 Christophe Ley, ULB, "Multivariate Skewed Distributions - a Return to Abnormality "
09:30-10:00 Mathieu Pigeon, UCL, "Statistical tools for loss reserving "
10:00-10:30 Jonathan Jaeger, UCL, "When the Bayesian framework allows to deal with hierarchical nonlinear regression "
11:00-12:30 Parallel sessions
Session: Mathematical Statistics and Econometrics
Chair: Siegfried Hoermann
- Carine Bartholmé, ULB, "A factorization of the exponential functional of Lévy processes "
- Lukasz Kidzinski, ULB, "Estimation in Hilbertian linear models "
- Géraldine Laurent, ULg, "Error distribution function for parametrically truncated and censored data. "
- Yves Dominicy, ULB, "Inference for Vast Dimensional Elliptical Distributions "
- Diane Pierret, UCL, "The Systemic Risk of Energy Markets "
Session: Statistics for the Life Sciences
Chair: Gentiane Haesbroeck
- Anne-Françoise Donneau, ULg, "Multiple imputation methods for incomplete longitudinal ordinal data "
- Baptiste Féraud, UCL, "Doing statistics with homonuclear 2D-NMR spectra :
handling and preliminary study of their repeatability "
- Federico Rotolo, UCL, "Incorporation of nested frailties into multi-state models,
with an application to event-history analysis for multicenter clinical trials"
- Marco Munda, UCL, "Diagnostic checking in shared frailty models based
on the association structures induced by frailties in multivariate survival data"
13:45-14:30 Ingrid Van Keilegom, UCL, Editor-in-chief of JRSS Series B,
"Dos and Don'ts in Academic Writing: Surviving the Peer Review Process "
Chair : Philippe Lambert
Chair: Céline Le Bailly De Tilleghem
14:45-15:15 Davy Paindaveine, ULB, "Kick-Start of an Academic Career "
15:15-15:45 François Beckers, VP, Head Biostatistics & Data Management at GlaxoSmithKline Biologicals,
"Getting a PhD and so what ? "
15:45-16:15 Xavier Maréchal, Managing Director, Reacfin SA, "Establish yourself as free-lance or create a spin-off:
Another way to enhance your Ph.D."
16:15 CLOSING : Cédric Heuchenne
CLOSING DRINK, jointly with the Alumni of the LSBA.
Registration for the PhD Day is free but compulsory. Please register by completing the registration form.
Registration deadline: September 7, 2012.
The abstract submission is now closed
Ecole doctorale thématique en Statistique et en Sciences Actuarielles, ISBA, UCL
- Johan Segers
- Catherine Legrand
- Anne Benoît
- Catherine Timmermans
Auditoire Socrate 40 (SOCR 40)
Place du Cardinal Mercier, 10
Please find a map of Louvain-la-Neuve here
(The SOCR 40 is located in the "building 19" on the map (coordinates D5, use "zoom-in"))
The parking lot "Grand-place" (liable to fees) is right near the "building 19".
If you want to stay in Louvain-la-Neuve overnight:
Hotel Mercure. Booking has to be done as soon as possible!
Boulevard de Lauzelle 61
Hotel Leonardo (more difficult public transportation to LLN)
Rue de la Wastinne 45
At Home Hotel (more difficult public transportation to LLN)
Place Bosch 33
Hotels in Brussels (30km/45' by train)
Mrs Tatiana Regout
Voie du Roman Pays 20
Email : Tatiana Regout
Phone : (+32)10/47.94.07
Fax : (+32)10/47.30.32